Chelsey Pennyamon's Reviews > The Rape of Nanking

The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang

F_50x66
I read this book in high school, while in the grip of some serious Nippon-philia thanks to 1: pop culture 2: the fact that all things awesome seemed to come from japan (see: awesome video games, anime, visual-kei bands, and comic books/ graphic novels that are female-friendly/directed as far as fandom goes). [Of course, it isn't that loving Japan and Japanese culture is a *bad* thing, it's that I, like most "otaku" was completely ignorant of the history of japan in general, and had a particularly naive and incomplete picture of Japan as far as its historical development goes.:]
Needless to say, this book totally shell-shocked the hell out of me (and many others, I'm sure!), and is a good reason why I became attracted to feminism and stopped thinking of a nation, a people, and a culture in such an unabashedly fetishized, uncomplicated way.
It's really a shame that Iris Chang committed suicide, I would love to have read an update of this book and/or other works exploring the same subject.
For now I'll just have to settle with re-reading this book someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rape of Nanking.