S.N. Arly's Reviews > Bloodhound

Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

Feb 25, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-ficiton, young-adult, strong-girls-and-women
Read in February, 2010

This is a fair sequel to Terrier, a YA novel about a young woman who enters what is effectively the police force in the capital of a pre-industrial kingdom. As with all Pierce's books, there are wonderfully strong female characters. She does a good job with realistic characters, which is well since they're the ones who carry this particular novel. It's also nice to see positive depictions of a variety of lifestyles and sexual orientations in a YA book.

From the acknowledgments, it's clear Pierce was concerned that readers would find a tale about counterfeiting boring. While you may get bored (particularly if you aren't a young adult), this will have more to do with the massive overload of set up details. After all that, the denouement was rushed and unsatisfying, perhaps to reign in the word count.

Die hard fans will want to read this. I plan on reading the third in the series when it comes out. Though I hope she takes her time to do it right, as we've seen a stronger writer in her in the past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodhound.