Maggie's Reviews > The Silent Tower

The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly

F 50x66
Feb 22, 10

Read in February, 2010

This was is the opening book of the Windrose Chronicles so there is a lot of exposition to get you into the multiverse setting of the book. It took me about half way through the book to get caught up by the characters, Antryg, Joanna and Caris. When I finally connected with the concepts and the characters and began to care what would happen to them, I began to really like the book, although occasionally I wanted to smack Joanna who doesn't recognize a user when she meets one and it smacks her in the face, or at least doesn't see it until it was almost too late. The mostly two dimension universe concept which matches up our world with a world in which magic is active has interesting aspects that make you think about our own world and see it from a different perspective. And this book came out in 1986, so the concepts of computers is very different than they have turned out in the internet age. But it is interesting to see how it looked in the past. The ending is very obviously a set up for the second volume in the chronicle as it leaves you not knowing what has happened to Antryg or how Joanna is going to avoid the egregious and unpleasant Gary. But at least she has figured out he is a villain.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Tower.