Marion Katrina's Reviews > The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Oct 06, 2010

bookshelves: read-me-favourites, judgement-day, favorites
Read from February 22 to October 06, 2010

''the ability to say yes or no is the essence of all ownership. It's your ownership of your own ego. Your soul, if you wish. Your soul has a basic function - the act of valuing.'

I will say yes. I liked this book. Yes, the characters are archetypes; unyielding mouthpieces; wooden receptacles filled with words to elucidate a philosophy. Yes, the monologues are often dense, overwrought and overbearing. Especially towards the end. Altruismselfishness, the collectiveindividual, creative integrity and ego- these themes eyeball you fiercely from every audacious page. Maybe less is more. Maybe not.

Yes, it is black and white with no consideration for the grey that makes everything so colourful. But this book doesn't need grey. We are the grey. We can take the limited palette and philosophical scope of the novel and add it to our own collection in various and, dare I say it, individual strengths, tones and textures.

There was never meant to be a collective reaction. Well done us.

Caveat: there is no rape scene.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountainhead.

Quotes Marion Liked

Ayn Rand
“She thought: at this moment, the glass stem between his fingers feels just like the one between mine. We have this much in common.”

Ayn Rand
“To say "I love you" one must know first how to say the "I".”

Ayn Rand
“There’s nothing as significant as a human face. Nor as eloquent. We can never really know another person, except by our first glance at him. Because, in that glance, we know everything. Even though we’re not always wise enough to unravel the knowledge.”

Ayn Rand
“Man cannot survive except through his mind. He comes on earth unarmed. His brain is his only weapon. Animals obtain food by force. man had no claws, no fangs, no horns, no great strength of muscle. He must plant his food or hunt it. To plant, he needs a process of thought. To hunt, he needs weapons,and to make weapons - a process of thought. From this simplest necessity to the highest religious abstraction, from the wheel to the skyscraper, everything we are and we have comes from a single attribute of man -the function of his reasoning mind.”

Ayn Rand
“Now I don’t see anything evil in a desire to make money. But money is only a means to some end. If a man wants it for a personal purpose — to invest in his industry, to create, to study, to travel, to enjoy luxury — he’s completely moral. But the men who place money first go much beyond that. Personal luxury is a limited endeavor. What they want is ostentation: to show, to stun, to entertain, to impress others… At the price of their own self-respect. In the realm of greatest importance — the realm of values, of judgment, of spirit, of thought — they place others above self, in the exact manner which altruism demands. A truly selfish man cannot be affected by the approval of others. He doesn’t need it.”

08/25/2010 page 120