Kay's Reviews > Mark of the Demon

Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Feb 24, 2010

it was ok

This was not the book for me.

Although an interesting mix of paranormal and procedural crime fiction - I could not get into Mark of the Demon. There was, literally, not a single character that I actually liked. There was a lot of show-no-tell when it came to the heroine - we had to sit through her telling people that she "gave a shit" about the victims about 30 times... *groan* Not to mention she was dull as hell. Even the hero - who I can usually appreciate in any circumstance - was pretty boring.

I suppose the ending had one hell of a twist - but, frankly, I was barely paying attention by this point. The Louisiana setting nearly saved the book... but ultimately failed. Despite the constant references to the heat, bugs and Katrina - I felt like this book could have been set anywhere.

Diana Rowland is not a bad writer - but I just don't think she is a writer for me. I could, however, appreciate well the book was crafted from beginning to end. With some writers *cough*Stephenie Meyer*cough* you can tell that they have no idea where they are going - Rowland is not one of these.

Bottom line? This was not my kind of book. But if you are looking for a twist on your standard crime novel, you might as well give this a shot.

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Demon.