Thea's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

** spoiler alert ** Coming into this book, I heard that people either loved it, or really hated it. To be frank, I don't understand how people could ever hate a book like this.

I re read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire before I read Mockingjay, and it was incredible to see how each character changed as each book transitioned to the next. Katniss, for example, turned from being a stubborn, cold, and protective person in The Hunger Games, into a caring and emotional person in Mockingjay. People say that she lacked any sort of emotion in the last book, whereas I totally disagree with that observation. Her reaction to the wounded in District 8 supported the fact that she cared about those who were rebels with her. Katniss' reaction to the events that occurred around her were perfect - Exactly how I would imagine a person to go through things like that act.

Even though the book overall was a tragedy, and one would expect bad things to happen, Collins allowed such an emotional connection to form between the reader and her characters that, at least for me, couldn't help but grieve along with Katniss through the deaths of her friends. Cinna's pictures that he drew for her, as well as Finnick's death after his marriage to Annie, struck me hard and I fully understand Katniss' motives and why she did all the things that she did.

Her adventure with Peeta in this book was my favorite of all. It was as though Katniss was in Peeta's position during The Hunger Games: Katniss cared and loved Peeta, while Peeta had no reason to be with Katniss, just like the in The Hunger Games, but the roles were switched. But her persistence with him and his recovery brought them yet closer together during their missions, recounting their experiences with each other, and knowing each other through the "Real or Not Real" game they played.

...Honestly, I can't praise this book enough, so before I go off into a total tangent (because I've done it and had to erase multiple lines), I'll end it here, and encourage anyone who hasn't read it yet to give it a go. Give the whole series a go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.