Nance's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Nov 28, 2013

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy-or-science-fiction, books-read-2011, softcover, 10-best-books-of-2011
Read from March 04 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

"I haven't read too many fantasy/science fiction books, other than the occasional vampire/romance, Twilight series, and Harry Potter series. However, this book (which is the first part of a trilogy), does not disappoint. Full of unstoppable action and fascinating magic along with very likable and, at times, comical characters, The Name of the Wind offers the reader exceptional glimpses of what it's like in the lead character's, Kvothe, world (which is told to the reader in a series of flashbacks). Kvothe is an extremely smart young man, whose parents were murdered, and now he is left to live on the streets and survive on his own, whereby eventually he turns to a life of stealing just to stay alive. Eventually he makes his way to The University, which has always been his dream, and meets some highly memorable characters that will keep you extremely entertained and wondering what's going to happen next. Even though the book was 600+ pages, the action was non-stop, and I just kept reading rapidly page after page to see what more Mr. Rothfuss had in store for the young Kvothe who was so intense and wise for his young age.

The novel was overflowing with meaningful quotations. Here are just a few that I felt I just had to write down because they were so true.

Page 146, "May all your stories be glad ones, and your roads be smooth and short."

Page 290, "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."

Page 304, "That's why stories appeal to us. They give us the clarity and simplicity our real lives lack."

Page 123 (ways to deal with pain), "Perhaps the greatest faculty our minds possess is the ability to cope with pain. Classic thinking teaches us of the four doors of the mind, which everyone moves through according to their need. First is the door of sleep. Sleep offers us a retreat from the world and all its pain. Sleep marks passing time, giving us distance from the things that have hurt us. When a person is wounded they will often fall unconscious. Similarly, someone who hears traumatic news will often swoon or faint. This is the mind's way of protecting itself from pain by stepping through the first door. Second is the door of forgetting. Some wounds are too deep to heal, or too deep to heal quickly. In addition, many memories are simply painful, and there is no healing to be done. The saying "time heals all wounds" is false. Time heals most wounds. The rest are hidden behind this door. Third is the door of madness. There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind. Last is the door of death. The final resort. Nothing can hurt us after we are dead, or so we have been told."

That is just a few of the quotations from this book that had me really thinking that the author was serious about creating a novel that would be forever etched in our minds.

Simply a mesmerizing work of fantasy not to be missed!!

Looking forward to getting started on the second part of the trilogy, "The Wise Man's Fear", which just was released in hardcover the beginning of this month!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

03/10/2011 page 283