Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Exciting, mysterious and funny. Clare fans won't be disappointed.

My first impression of the book, though a lot of things happened even in the chapter 1, was that it started off somewhat slowly. For me, at least. But then it seemed to get more intriguing and dynamic. My second impression was that there were a great number of parallels between the Cities and this book - for instance, Will and Tessa really talk only in Chapter 2, and in Chapter 3 Tessa awakes in the Institute, just like Clary in City of Bones.

There were a great number of other similarities, too, the most startling of which is how identical Will is to his grand-grand...something son Jace. I swear, it was only a change of name - Will acted and reacted exactly the way Jace would have in his place. That was... strange, mind-boggling even. Tessa was also in many ways similar to Clary.

I found the other characters original and intriguing. Both Charlotte and Jessamyn would develop interestingly with the books, I'm sure, as will Sophie. And though it's obvious that Tessa should be with Will (at least I see it that way) Jem really is a jem! He's sooooo cute. But he's not without wounds, so... hope things turn out for the better for him.

Magnus made a welcome re-appearance, or rather pre-appearance. The villains really unnerved me, which was good, and though I guessed some outcomes, there were still great twists and turns to the plot.

What's most important, for me, is that I finished the book thirsty for more. I must admit, I like the Cities better, but the Infernal Devices seem to have a number of gems in their plot and the first installment leaves the reader with a great number of the most intriguing questions unanswered.

Now all we want is the second and third book, Miss Clare :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Adi (Reading in the Windowseat) Liked

Cassandra Clare
“That was enterprising," Will sounded nearly impressed.
Nate smiled. Tess shot him a furious look. "Don't look pleased with yourself. When Will says 'enterprising' he means 'morally deficient.'"
"No, I mean enterprising," said Will. "When I mean morally deficient, I say, 'Now, that's something I would have done'.”

Cassandra Clare
“She looked up at him with a smile. The smile broke what was left of his resistance--shattered it. He had let the walls down when he'd thought she was gone, and there was no time to build them back up.”

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

Cassandra Clare
“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

Cassandra Clare
“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.”

Cassandra Clare
“I believe in good and evil," said Jem. "And I believe the soul is eternal. But I don't believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks, or endless torment. I do not believe you can threaten people into goodness."

Tessa looked at will. "What about you? What do you believe?

"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows. What else is there?”

Cassandra Clare
“Will smiled the way Lucifer might have smiled, moments before he fell from Heaven.”

Cassandra Clare
“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”

Cassandra Clare
“Are you implying that shreds of my reputation remain intact?" Will demanded with mock horror. "Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or not something wrong, as the case may be."

He banged on the side of the carriage. "Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel. I seek scandal and low companionship.”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

09/01/2010 "God! I'd been waiting for this book from the very beginning. Can't believe I'm finally reading it!"
09/02/2010
60.0% "So far, so good, though I have to say - I like the Cities better. Will is so much like Jace, though, it's surreal xD"
show 1 hidden update…

Heather I felt the same way when I first started reading it, and then wham I started loving it. I also felt the same as you in comparing this series to the City books and seeing many similarities. They're fun reads, so I stopped caring so much that they resembled the first three books. Your review mirrored my own thoughts. I liked it a lot.

Adi (Reading in the Windowseat) Yeah, I didn't mind it all that much - the similarities. Actually, they amused me - first it just sprang out on me, but by the end I was comparing the books and trying to find more. I also experienced a stange pang every time I read a familiar name like Lightwood or Herondale, and kept thinking how the events would get tied up to those of the Mortal Instruments.