VegasGal's Reviews > Bel Canto

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Apr 15, 10

bookshelves: read-2010
Read in April, 2010

I was expecting a lot more out of this book since the synopsis looked exciting, a group or terrorists taking over a birthday party filled with well-to-do influential people, but after reading a bit of it, I realized the story wasn't going anywhere as exciting as I had originally imagined. In fact the plot was a quite drawn out and ridiculous, I did manage however to read the entire story because I was curious to see where exactly this was all going to end up. Well, needless to say I'm quite annoyed that all my efforts didn't pay off since it not only ended abruptly, but also in a weird twist that really didn't make any sense. It felt as if the author didn't know where else to go with the story so she tossed in an ending and threw in a sprinkle of romance to make some readers happy.
Patchett writes well, and even some of the subplots in this story have their merits, but overall this story, in my opinion, could have been a lot better had it not been drawn out with a ridiculous plot and some mediocre characters that were all overshadowed by one main character that I still can't figure out why everyone was obsessed with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bel Canto.