Mont'ster's Reviews > The Day of the Jackal

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: fiction, got-it, topshelf
Recommended to Mont'ster by: my dad
Read in January, 1988 — I own a copy

I don't want to put any spoiler info here so when I say that "the concept for the story is huge..." you're just going to have to trust me.

Normally I don't enjoy "true crime" or "spy" stories (fiction or non-fiction), but this is a modern classic for a good reason. Forsyth had me interested in his characters and what they were doing from the very start. And more, he successfully makes you want to understand the "why" of different characters motivations. Few authors are able to accomplish this, and he does it really well. The concept for the story is huge but the author's great attention to detail makes it all very believable.

The only thing that could be distracting (reading it now in 2010) is the fact that, these days it might be a bit more difficult to travel internationally and remain incognito. But again, Forsyth pays a lot of attention to small details and it is very easy to find yourself in 1971 Europe.

The fact that Frederick Forsyth was able to believably execute this idea stands as a tribute to his talent as an author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day of the Jackal.