Kspeare's Reviews > Justice Hall

Justice Hall by Laurie R. King

U_50x66
Feb 21, 10

bookshelves: mystery, suspense

JUSTICE HALL is my favorite Russell/Holmes mystery. In general, this series has the blend of mystery, finely drawn characterization and setting, humor, and *just enough* romance that I prefer. Each book is more than the sum of those parts, though, and this one is quite a bit more.

Set around 1923 mainly in a fictional Great House of England, it reunites Russell and Holmes with well-remembered characters from an earlier book, almost unrecognizeable in their current roles. The book's mystery revolves around one of the young men "Shot At Dawn," ostensibly for cowardice or desertion, during World War I - young men to whom a memorial was dedicated in the first year of our current century. JUSTICE HALL illuminates some of the reasoning, or lack there of, behind the shootings, and by extension the solid reasons for the memorial.

Because of this book's concern with emotionally wrenching historical and personal matters, there is perhaps less humor than in a typical Russell/Holmes outing. But even I didn't miss it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justice Hall.