Margaret H.'s Reviews > The Perilous Gard

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope

20543
Dec 06, 11

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, classics-deservedly, gifts-from-brilliant-people, historical-fiction, inexpressably-good-books, young-adult-fiction
Read from February 21 to 26, 2010

I appear to have read this book every gloomy November forever-- once in 2003 (after being rejected by my very first college crush in an oppressively thorough conversation at 2 in the morning) and then again in 2004 (the day George W. Bush was reelected, God help us and save us). Which is only two, but still seemed like a significant enough pattern that, when I opened the book a couple weeks ago, it felt like I *had* to read it, just to keep the tradition alive.

There are so many small moments in this book I adore. The scene in Master John's evidence room. Kate and Christopher's conversations about The Manor. The Weight. Gwenhyfara and the Lady of the Hill. The final conversation between Kate and the Lady, and the conversation between Kate and Christopher that immediately follows. Partly this comes from love, from reading the scenes over and over. But it also comes from their perfection, from the very real characters Pope has created and the very complicated conflict they're enmeshed in. It's just a lovely book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perilous Gard.

02/21/2010 page 45
16.07% "The 1st time I re-read this book, I'd just been rejected by my 1st college crush, and the 2nd time, W.had just won the 2004 election." 1 comment

Margaret H. You should gather, therefore, that I am once again in need of comforting due to unpleasant, outside circumstances.