Leah's Reviews > The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide

The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward

Feb 21, 2010

bookshelves: 5-stars, anthology, loaned, m-f, adult-literature
Read from March 11 to 12, 2010 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I loved the BDB Insider's Guide. First off, "Father Mine" was adorable and actually had me on the verge of tears at one point. I always love getting more of Zsadist, and that little novella about him, Bella, and Nalla was like a little slice of heaven for me. The questionnaires and interviews with the Brothers were hilarious and had me laughing out loud. The quotes that J. R. Ward pulled from the novels as some of her favorites were some of my favorites, too, and had me giggling and remembering the parts in each book that they came from. The interview with Tohr and Wellsie was so depressing that I was on the verge of tears at that part, too; it was just so sad to have more of them when she's dead. The message board conversations were hilarious and I was laughing as I read them; some I had to re-read because I couldn't concentrate enough through laughing (at Rhage and V and Butch) to read them right the first time. The Slices of Life were interesting, especially "Wrath and the Letter Opener". Holy hell, that story was sexy; great ending. The deleted scenes were interesting to read because then I got to see what she thought didn't need to be in the novels or were changed. My favorite one was the goodbye between Z and Bella. I think that one should have been their goodbye in the novel, although I think the one that's in the book is goo also. The one with Phury and Cormia watching Nalla and Aggie was adorable, but I agree with was unnecessary for the book. I did adore seeing Z being so frazzled about leaving Nalla at home. The interview with J. R. Ward was absolutely hilarious. I love how the Brothers asked her questions and then answered with their answers instead of waiting for her or answered for her (especially Rhage). When they voted on what kind of tree she would be, I was laughing so hard. It was interesting to read the BDB Proposal and the excerpt from Lover Avenged because it was interesting to see how the novels and character changed from the beginning into the characters we know and love today. I sincerely hope that Ward does an insider's guide after she writes a few more novels because I really want to read Rehv's answers to the questionnaire and interview.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

03/11 page 9
1.93% "Ohhh, Zsadist..."
03/11 page 123
26.34% "Z is her favorite brother? He should be everyone's favorite brother!"
03/11 page 142
30.41% "Oh, Z...:)"
03/12 page 225
48.18% "The interviews/personal questions with the brothers were hilarious. It's interesting to see how things have changed."
03/12 page 403
86.3% "Loving this and laughing my butt off."
05/05 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

A_Dreamer_aka_Synnister A definite MUST READ! Hope you enjoy it!

Leah American_dreamer_aka_Synnister wrote: "A definite MUST READ! Hope you enjoy it!"

I definitely know I will enjoy it! I just have to finish the last three books and then read the Insider's Guide! I'm really kinda excited for it, lol

Melissa Pozo I just ordered it and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Leah Melissa wrote: "I just ordered it and I'm really looking forward to reading it."

Melissa, you are going to enjoy it. It was very, very good. Especially the interviews with the Brothers and when they interviewed JRW :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review, girl. Your fave parts are my faves too!

Leah LOL, thanks. I don't even remember what I wrote in this review!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I forgot about mine too, but when we started talking about I was like, wait a min here. LOL.

Leah LOL. After I posted above I went back and read my review, LOL.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I DID TOO! How embarassing. In my mind, I was thinking... oh yeah! Now I remember! Makes me want to read it again now!

message 10: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! I did the same thing! And my mom is reading it right now so it made me want to read it even more.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! Thats so funny! Wow, does everyone in your family read the BDB books?

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yep! I gave them to my sister to read, and then the two of us forced my mom to read them. So we all sit around and fight over who has which Brothers, LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAO! Nice!! I got my friend to read Lover Eternal, but she's more into the chick lit. And I think that genre is a bore. LOL.

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Ugh. I don't read chick-lit. I've read like one or two chick-lit books that I actually liked. Other than that...no. I'll stick with my romance, that you very much!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I've read 3 and a half. On my shelf my chick-lit section consists of...3 books. LOL. pathetic! It's not really my thing.

Same here. I've been on a pnr binge lately. In the last six months or so, that's all I've read. Oh, an YA too actually. and a few UF titles here and there.

message 16: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. I've made it through a total of one and less than 1/4 through a second one. The only one I like is Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella.

I've been on a historical and contemporary binge. The only paranormal I've been able to read that hasn't irritated me is IAD.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I think I read that one too. It has like a flower on its cover? Iuno, can't remember. And I read Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emilly Griffin. Those were okay. Couldn't get through Baby Proff though.

OooH Interesting. I'm obsessed with pnr. I think almost all books I read have some paranormal aspect to them.

message 18: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah The one I have has a necklace on it, I think, and then another version has a doorhanger on it. I never read those two books but they sound too chick-lit-y to me, LOL.

LOL. I love PNR too but it's "eh" lately.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! They are okay. Not really my thing.

I really enjoy Gothic Horror too. I took a class and fell in love.

message 20: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I can completely understand that, LOL. Same here. I have no interest in chick-lit.

I haven't read much Gothic Horror. Well, at least not what I think of as Gothic Horror. Which ones do you like? I may have to try them out :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I read Frankenstein and I LOVED it. It's become one of my all-time faves. I've read The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Picture of Dorian Gray and a few books by Angela Carter. I liked The Bloody Chamber the best.

message 22: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I have Frankenstein but I haven't read it yet. I actually was supposed to read Dorian Gray for my English class last year and I made it to page 96 and quit. I just couldn't read it. Maybe I'll give it another chance, though, since you liked it.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Actually, I was really excited to read that book for so long but when it came time to read it for class, I didnt like it as much as I thought I would. I think it was because I had about 4 hours to read it and then write a 10 page paper on it. So I had no time to really enjoy it. There's lots of description and I was like BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Exactly! LOL. All the description made me literally fall asleep while I was reading it! I completely bullshitted the essay I had to write about it! LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) ME TOO! But I still got an A. WHAT WHAT!?

Frankenstein caught me off guard. I didn't think I'd like it, but I LOVED it. Had to read to twice for different classes and I was totally happy with doing that.

message 26: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah WHOOT WHOOT! LOL. I got an A or a B on my paper for it, too! HELL YEAH! :D

LOL. Yeah, it's just kinda sitting on my bookshelf. They told me I was going to need it for school this year and then went and changed the damn books on us! WTF?! D:

message 28: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I know! And it was the stupidest shit. My school sends out our schedules over the summer so we can order our books, right? So, Frankenstein was the book they told us we needed. Okay, cool. So I ordered it. Then, first day of school, the teacher tells us, "No! We are reading Hamlet!" To which we told her that we had already read that LAST YEAR. Then, about a month ago, she goes, "So! Did every one get the two books we are reading?" And we all look at each other and are like, "Nooooo..." To which she tells us we are reading The Merchant of Venice and Cat's Eye! WHAT THE FUCK?! D:

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) HAHAHA! That sucks!! You have to buy your own books in high school? They just let us borrow it...in University, that's when we have to buy our own shit...but for my English courses, some of them I borrowed from the library.

message 30: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah, we have to buy most of our books for high school. I probably could have borrowed the two novels from the library, but when it comes to school novels, I have to write in them and underline shit to make notes for myself, so I buy used copies on Amazon.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Good plan! I never had to buy them in high school. Thank God. We only had to pay the school if he misplaced them or ruined them.

I remember this one guy kept calling me a whore and so my boyfriend too his Wuthering Heights book and hid it until the end of the school year. He had to pay for it. MOAOAHA.. and the funny thing is, I STIL HAVE IT!

message 32: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. I would have to constantly be paying the school because I would be writing in them all the time. It's hard for me NOT to underline in school novels. MY books, fuck no. But in school books, I HAVE too.

LMAOOOOO! That's hilarious! You still have the Wuthering Heights book?! What, as a keepsake?! LMAO

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) True. I don't write in mine either. I put bookmarks in though...so my fave books have tons of scraps of papers shoved into them.

LMAOO!! I know! Nah, I kept it because he wouldn't suspect me and then I just never gave it back. I forgot. Ooops. :D

message 34: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I don't do that either. I have a quotes notebook where I write my favorite quotes and scenes, though. One of my pet peeves, though, with books is when people dog-ear pages, so I ALWAYS use bookmarks.

LOL! Silly girl!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL I do the quote book too. I have two books filled already.

Ugh, me too!

message 36: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I am almost done with my first one, it just has a few pages left. Then I am starting in my AC/DC notebook! LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL NICE.

Don't laugh but mine are all Twilight! LMAO.

message 38: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I thought so! LOL

LMAO! Your quotes are all Twilight? Sad, sad, sad!

message 39: by Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) (last edited Dec 11, 2010 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh no, not the quotes I mean. But the book shit thing. It has the twilight cover on it.

Most of the quotes are J.R. Ward.

message 40: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Ooooooh! LOL! The one I have now is just a purple cover and then the one I'm going to start when the purple one is full is my AC/DC one, LOL

I have A LOT of JRW quotes, too. I think most of mine are probably Richelle Mead quotes, especially from the VA series.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) AC/DC SICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKK!

Oh yeah, me too. Lots of VA quotes. Those books are soo freaking good!

message 42: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! I LOOOOOOVE AC/DC!

I totally agree! I have to go in and write down all my Last Sacrifice quotes! I wrote down all the page numbers so now I just have to write the quotes, LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) OoHH! I HAVE to write down the part where Adrian explodes! Heartbreaking, but so, so good. I love/hate it when it clutches his chest and says it. AHHHHHHHHHHH! TEARSSS!

message 44: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I don't have any of that to put in there. I put the really funny quotes and the parts that really speak to me. My heart broke for Adrian but there was nothing funny or really meaningful in that part! LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I have a lot of VA quoutes. How about that Dimitri and Rose conversation?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Really? I think we all did. coz it's amazzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

message 47: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Which one, Annie?! There were so many great conversations with Rose and Dimitri!

Why thank you, Black Velvet!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) The one were he professes his love for her!

I wrote a couple lines from Seduce me at sunrise in mine last night. SUCH A GOOD BOOK!

message 49: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Oh yeah! That was a great one. He is so damn adorable!

I agree! Kev is so cute. One of my favorite quotes, though, is when Cam talks to Kev and tells him that he has to take all the bad things if he wants the good. SO. CUTE!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) YES. I loved that tooo! Awww.

« previous 1