David's Reviews > The Abstinence Teacher

The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

Nov 13, 2007

did not like it
Read in November, 2007

My dad sent me this book, and also the DVD of "Little Children", which is based on his novel of the same name. Here's what I wrote him after reading it:

I went to the theater but it was packed, so I opted out, went to a coffee shop and read Perrotta's book, which I finished this morning. Really bad. If you haven't read it yet, I wouldn't bother. There was something that bothered me about Little Children that I couldn't put my finger on until now. Perrotta is trying to be the moralist of suburbia, but his values are shallow and his insights banal, and I think mostly wrong. Not to mention, in the case of The Abstinence Teacher, a real snoozer-- 350 pages to describe a confrontation between a single soccer mom and born again recovering addict soccer coach who leads the kids in a prayer after one of their games. Maybe I've spoiled myself having just read McCarthy and Roth back to back, both masters of the austere. In comparison, this book is just farty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abstinence Teacher.

03/19 marked as: read

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Lowry What an insightful review. You remind me of myself--we aren't just your garden-variety cynics or literary snobs. You seem to have taste.

Not to mention, you were able to remain clear, concise, articulate, and still fit in the word "farty."