Faith's Reviews > The Wanderer

The Wanderer by Sharon Creech

F_50x66
Feb 21, 10

bookshelves: favorites, timeless, recently-re-read

This has been one of my all time favorite books since I was maybe seven or eight. I've at least liked all of Sharon Creech's books, but this is the one I truly loved and has stuck with me ever since I read it for the first time. I found Sophie the only main character Creech has written that I was not annoyed by. The others all seem the same to me. Sophie, while maybe just as unreasonable as many of the other characters from other books, is very easy to relate to and her character is one you can't help falling in love with. I don't think there's a single person in The Wanderer I don't enjoy reading. Normally I find Creech's protagonists to be selfish and unreal (Yet for some inexplicable reason I DO like them). Sophie was called selfish several times in the book, but I decided that she made up for any of her selfishness by making me smile almost every page and showing everyone else how amazing the littlest things can be. I could really relate to how she's drawn to yet afraid of the ocean (Like Sophie, I've had recurring nightmares about the sea for years) and her casual denial of the past was certainly something I've done before, though not to the extent she took it to.
Cody is probably one of my earliest fictional crushes. I think I've been in love with him for about six and a half years, and when I re-read this book last night, I fell even harder for him. I think we can safely call him my soul mate.

I think another big difference in this book was there weren't many things that sounded just plain silly. Especially in Bloomability (though it was a nice read) her dreams just sounded ridiculous. In The Wanderer, maybe just because I've had similar dreams, they just seemed so much more realistic to what most people dream about.
And the writing. Did I mention the writing? Her writing is so to-the-point and clear, it never drags on, but it's still beautiful and poignant.

So this book gets placed on the shelf right next to the Book Thief and 13 Reasons Why, because while very different, they are all among the few books that have made me cry AND really think about life.

Very well done, Creech.

(Oh, one last comment... would people GET BOMPIE'S NICKNAME RIGHT? BOMPIE. B-O-M-P-I-E. BOMPIE. IF you love him so much, at least have the decency to remember his name.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wanderer.