Natalie's Reviews > The Romantics

The Romantics by Galt Niederhoffer

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: read-2010
Read from February 21 to 23, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Horr-i-ble.

Admittedly, I only read this book because I knew there was a movie coming out and I like doing the comparison. I haven't even seen the movie yet and it is guaranteed to be better than this. Sometimes I enjoy reading crap, like when I'm on a beach and don't feel like thinking too much. It's the same reason I occasionally watch reality TV. But this hits a new low. Nothing at all about this book is likeable.

It's very clear from the shallow, WASP-y characters who sniff coke and all have sex with each other that this book was written to be made into a movie. If you are writing for a movie, please, write a screenplay. Seriously. But, come on, at least try to make me feel like you're trying to write a book.

Crappy lines abound. I didn't even need to mark them. Here, I'll flip through now and pull out some best of the worst:
1) "Tom faced Laura, shaking his head, his clothes as soaked as his soul" (277).
2) "Musical highlights included songs such as 'Mein Minesweeper', 'Rosie, I'm Riveted', 'Uncle Sam, I'm Your Man,' and...'Nuremberg Trials and Errors' (170).
3) "She stood in the doorway in pink pyjamas, a petite variation on an angry general" (192).

And don't even get me started on the annoying overuse of the passive tense littering the beginning of this sucker. (See page 13, for example.)

No. No. No. I have a copy here if anyone would like to take it off my hands.
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romantics.