Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > Happy Hour at Casa Dracula

Happy Hour at Casa Dracula by Marta Acosta

Feb 24, 10

bookshelves: want-to-buy
Recommended to Jennifer by: Vampire Wire
Recommended for: Lovers of fun chick lit paranormal literature
Read from February 21 to 24, 2010

Wonderfully charming and decidedly original take on the Vampire genre. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into details, but I really thought the explanation for vapirism and how they live was very unique.

Outrageously Snappy, witty dialogue. Here are just some of my favorites:

"The road to hell is paved with fabulous men"

"When she bothered to look at me, an expression of dismay almost came over her immaculately made-up face. "Almost", because medical procedures rendered her incapable of normal facial expressions"

"boyfriends who were like beach reads, momentary fun but nothing you'd ever buy in hardcover'

"I'm not just a girl with a great rack, I am Milagro De Los Santos, the miracle of the saints"

The main character Milagro is both cheeky and loveable and I dare you not to like her. She's the type of girl who you would want to hang out with just to hear what she has to say next. And Edna is just so delightfully written, that I am very disappointed that she isn't real. The scenes between Edna and Milagro are worth the price of the book! (ok, well I got my copy from the library, but you know what I mean)

Some of the secondary characters could use a little more development, but that is just because you just get a taste and you want more of them. Hopefully further books in the series will go into more detail.

A nice fast paced storyline that just kept getting better and better. It was so much fun that I almost missed getting off my bus because I was so into the story. I look forward to reading more my Marta! Btw, check out her blog its Hilarious! http://vampirewire.blogspot.com/

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Hour at Casa Dracula.

02/22/2010 page 321