Ch_jank-caporale's Reviews > What Jamie Saw

U_50x66
Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read from February 21 to 23, 2010

What Jamie saw should not be seen- ever. Not by children, not by adults. Unfortunately, it is seen all too often.
At the beginning of the book, Jamie lives with his mother, his half sister Nin, and Van, his mother's boyfriend. The first chapter is one of the most amazing openings to a book I've ever read. It is psychologically terse, with repeating lines, long rambling sentences, and a dream-like quality that represents a child jerked from sleep and unable to process what is happening. The reader experiences everything the way Jamie experiences it, and we are not sure, even then, what he's witnessed. Some things are like that. Some things are not fathomable.

The book becomes more traditional after the first chapter, though not necessarily more predictable. It is a quick read, one that will keep you squirming in anxiety and suspense. I would think the target audience would be late elementary or middle school but I cringe to think how many children might see themselves in these pages. I think this is an incredible piece of writing on an incredibly difficult subject and highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Jamie Saw.