Christopher's Reviews > Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger

Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger by Ronald J. Sider

Feb 21, 2010

did not like it
Read from February 21 to 28, 2010

The books is divided into three parts, I'll explain each section from his point of view.

1)Poor Lazarus and Rich Christians, or I don't understand what causes poverty: There are currently 218 gizmos running around and America is currently using 130 of them. We're such jerks. If we distributed the gizmos evenly, everything would be peachy fine.

2)A Biblical Perspective on the Poor and Possessions, or I don't know what the Bible says about mammon: Look! Woe unto you rich folkies! Take that!... hmmm?... Job? Never heard of him.

3)Implementation, or I'm going to apply my mental dystopia: Live in a commune, eat veggies, stop having so many kids (surprise, surprise), start a garden, and vote for Socialists!

My personal favorite of his "practical" suggestions: use "the postage paid envelopes of direct mail advertisers to object to their unscrupulous advertising." In the words of Dave Barry, I am not making this up.

Of course, my heart goes out to any poor sap who actually bought this idea. He must live a guilt-ridden, steakless existence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger.