Karla's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Nov 02, 10

bookshelves: ethiopia, twins, mourning, tear-jerkers, 2010, favorites
Read from February 21 to March 02, 2010

Narrated by Marion the first born of conjoined twin brothers. Fathered by a brilliant British surgeon and an Indian nun. The twins mother dies in childbirth and their father abandons them almost instantly after birth. Left to be raised in a missionary hospital in Ethiopia by Loving skilled doctors of the hospital Ghosh and Hema.

The medical jargon is very detailed and descriptions of Ethiopian cuture and history are richly described. The twins Marion and Shiva's lifes are riden with tragedy, Although full of courage and heart.

The details of the medical field and operations are colorfully described and if you are squeamish you may want to skim the hard core details. I was very captivated in them though and got used to it and ended up enjoying the journey in surgery like an episode of ER.

This really read like a true story told in a very personal account. Full of wit, wisdom, charm. tradedy, culture, historical events of Ethiopia, family values, and had a spirit of its own. Ultimately challeged me as a reader to become the best books I've read this year so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

02/22/2010 page 66
02/24/2010 page 193
28.05% "Almost 200 pages into it and I think I see so much story building up."
02/25/2010 page 298
43.31% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

LemonLinda Fabulous, Karla, I agree that it was a great book. Maybe since Grey's Anatomy is one of the few TV shows that I regularly watch I was a bit desensitized to the graphic medical descriptions.

Didn't you love Ghosh? He was my favorite. I loved how he stepped up and was such a great father to the boys.

Karla Ghosh was adorable and just what those kids needed in their lives. After reading this I know it well be a book that lingers with me in so many ways. I was very upset with Gnet for the Hep B she had to have known she had it and didn't tell Marion a thing! I wanted to feel bad for her but how could I after such a selfish act??!!

message 3: by LemonLinda (last edited Mar 09, 2010 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

LemonLinda Agreed - I could not really dislike Genet nor could I really feel sorry for her but I almost wanted to feel both at the same time.

Karla She made her bed really just so sad she made so many selfish choices. She became her own worst enemy really although I still somehow related and was pulling for her :(

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Funny, but my mother just told me about this book this morning. She said the first 100 - 150 pages dragged for her, but after that she couldn't put it down.