Bark's Book Nonsense's Reviews > Horns

Horns by Joe Hill

Mar 01, 10

bookshelves: horror, favorites
Read from February 21 to March 01, 2010

Ignatius (Ig) wakes up from a drunken stupor to discover he has horns growing out of his head. At first he believes he’s losing his mind but quickly discovers that they are indeed real and come with a terrifying power that compel others to spill what they’re really thinking and it’s never all hearts and flowers either.

Poor Ig learns things about those closest to him that would destroy most people and soon realizes he is completely alone. A year earlier the love of his life, Merrill, was brutally raped and murdered and though Ig was never formally charged his small town has convicted him in their minds believing his well to-do parents pulled strings that allowed him to get away with murder. He’s been unable to find any sort of peace -- thus the drunken stupor of the previous night. With his devilish new powers, Ig is a man on a mission determined to find a killer . . .

The book then switches off going back to the past and present and becomes a unique mystery, love story, coming of age tale that brings all the characters to vivid life. It’s horrible, beautiful, emotional, darkly humorous and one of the best books I’ve read. I am going to track down a copy of this book on audio to keep on my Ipod.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horns.

02/21/2010 page 35
9.46% "Putting everything aside to read this!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) This sounds very interesting, Barkless.

message 2: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina Yes, it does sound intriguing. I am going to put it on my TBR list.

Bark's Book Nonsense It was a fantastic book that hooked me from beginning to end. This is one I'll be rereading a few times so I can catch everything. Joe Hill (he's Stephen King's son) definitely inherited his dad's talent for storytelling without the long-windedness ;)

Thomas Listening to the audiobook version now (love it and the reader is really good. You will enjoy it.

chucklesthescot I'm desperately waiting to get this one when it comes out in paperback *stamps foot with impatience!* I loved Heart Shaped Box. I haven't read 20th century ghosts as I don't like volumes of short stories.

Bark's Book Nonsense It's a great book. Do you have a decent library system? That's how I read it and then I asked for a copy as my birthday gift and my family found a signed copy where Joe Hill drew a cute pic of the devil inside.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy BarkLessWagMore wrote: "It's a great book. Do you have a decent library system? That's how I read it and then I asked for a copy as my birthday gift and my family found a signed copy where Joe Hill drew a cute pic of th..."

I'm jealous! I just finished this and loved it as well!

Jeannie Sloan I just got it from my library too.I'll let you know what I think but it looks like quite a treat.Joe Hill is really Stephen King's son?I thought that that was just a rumor.Very cool.His dad should be proud.

message 9: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian H. you only used 2 lines of that whole 3 paragraphs to actually "review" the book...we get a synopsis from Goodreads automatically. We as readers are supposed to review the book, not restate the synopsis.

Bark's Book Nonsense Whoops, sorry I didn't realize I was writing my review specifically for you and apologize for not living up to your expectations. However, I am a reader and I can "review" a book any way I choose. Sheesh lighten up, this isn't school or a job and if it's a job the pay leaves something to be desired.

message 11: by kate (new) - rated it 3 stars