Heidi 's Reviews > Up in the Air

Up in the Air by Walter Kirn

Feb 21, 10

Read in February, 2010

It took me several days to read this book, although it could easily be done in one sitting, which might have been better (many characters, many plot threads). I cannot say this a book that will delight the reader, but I will say the anxiety it begins to create is palpable as you press on toward the end.

It is certainly a timely book, given the main character's career path and I felt it depicted the world of corporate self-help perfectly. It was both sad and disturbing. I remember thinking that it captured the self-help crew as well as American Beauty captured suburban malaise.

I initially chose the book because of the movie which I haven't seen yet. It will be interesting to see how the book translated this very messy, stream of consciousness style of story telling.

So the big question I'm not answering very well is whether I liked the book and I have to say, not really. And yet there were parts, including the last few chapters, which moved me. As a reader along for a chaotic ride, the inner tension grew as that felt by the main character; it was definitely not the "smoothest" ride, rather it jolted you to the end. As I closed the book, I was as glad as any amateur airplane passenger to leave "AirWorld" and return to terra firma.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up in the Air.