Brian's Reviews > Ordinary Thunderstorms

Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd

198932
Dec 11, 10

Read in February, 2010

Immensely enjoyable, Ordinary Thunderstorms is a literary thriller set in the world of global pharamceutical companies and packed with enough plot twists for half a dozen novels.

It takes the reader on a whistlestop tour of London society, from millionaires to illiterate prostitutes via academics, hospital porters, dissolute lords, police officers and self-styled African bishops.

The plot springs into life within the first few pages when, after a chance encounter in a cafe, the hero, Adam Kindred, stumbles upon a violent crime. From that point on his life will never be the same.

I was reminded in places of a Hitchcock film and certainly this novel has all the ingredients. But it's not just thrills and spills. There's also terrific characterisation, some lovely description that you barely register as the need to unwind the plot drives you on, and above all, lots of humour.

I took this on holiday and even Ryanair didn't seem too bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Thunderstorms.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandy nice review! liked this book also..have you read more by the author that you recommend?

Brian Hi Sandy. I've read Restless which I really enjoyed (Some people don't like the ending but I disagree). I've also read Armadillo which I didn't enjoy at all and struggled to finish.