Raj's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

3320405
Oct 21, 14

bookshelves: classic, romance
Read from October 19 to 21, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: umpteen

I first encountered Pride and Prejudice back in the mid-90s when the BBC produced a mini-series dramatisation that I really enjoyed. I immediately looked up the big fat volume of Austen sitting in my parents' bookcase, devoured P&P (closely followed by the other novels) and fell in love with Eliza Bennet. Austen herself described Elizabeth Bennet: "as delightful a creature as ever appeared in print". I certainly can't argue with that. I loved this book then, and I loved it again now, after my umpteenth reread of it since then.

Back then it was the sheer feistiness of Elizabeth and the overcoming of all the odds to beat pride and, indeed, prejudice and find love that moved me. Over the years, I've come to appreciate the marvellous writing but also the social mores of the day and if not sympathise with Lady Catherine's view of the match between Eliza and Darcy, then at least understand it. In other contexts, such arguments as she makes to Elizabeth towards the end of the book are still made today.

Not only the protagonist, but all the cast of the book are lovingly drawn and so memorable. From the sublime - Jane and Bingley - to the ridiculous - Mrs Bennet and Mr Collins, every character springs to life in front of us.

Goodbye for now Lizzy, I'll see you in a year or two.
Likeflag