Chris's Reviews > The Emperor and the Wolf: The Lives and Films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune

The Emperor and the Wolf by Stuart Galbraith

Nov 13, 2007

bookshelves: to-read

This book is MASSIVE! I bought it back when it first came out and then stopped reading it because I felt like I was ruining the viewing experience for myself with the Kurosawa/Mifune films that I have yet to watch.

Someday I will have watched all of them and then I will finish reading the book.

I'm a nerd like that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor and the Wolf.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

message 2: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Elizabeth wrote: "Until then, use it as an expensive door stop :-) Sell it online or donate it to a local library. The style and pedantry disappointed me. These two great artists deserve much better."

Ha! To be honest, I haven't been inspired to pick it up again. While I still haven't seen all of Kurosawa's films, I feel that some part of this book would have drawn me back if I was really enjoying it to begin with.

Also, Criterion usually has very in-depth commentary tracks on their Kurosawa DVDs.