Marvin's Reviews > Dead Witch Walking

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, kindle, the-good-old-college-try

Got about third to a half through before I flung the book across the room.
Well, I didn't really throw it across the room. I read it on a kindle so it would have been really stupid if I did. But I wanted to. Bad writing, despicable main character, and a plot that appears to have been constructed with Lego blocks. "Gee, why don't I make a Harry Potter book for jaded adults. Plot? No problem, just throw every magical and supernatural gimmick I can think of and something will stick to the wall". If this is what passes for paranormal fiction nowadays, would someone conjure up an oven I can stick my head in?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Witch Walking.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Hahaha...calm down, Sylvia. I thought Kathryn really loved this series. Can't wait to read her comment on your review. Maybe this will be moving down on my TBR list, or perhaps up, so I can vote in the Trifecta. LOL Regardless, I'm glad you DIDN'T throw the Kindle. That would be really bad and better reserved for books like V.C. Andrews or Scott Sigler that got accidentally downloaded. :)

Marvin Who's Sylvia?

Yeah, I admit my reaction may be over the top but I really hated this book. I want you to read it especially since Katherine and I are usually in agreement but definitely not on this book.

message 4: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 30, 2010 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn Hey, Marvin, I have an oven for you! Just kidding, totally being a smart ass. :)

Sooooo, I was trying to refrain from commenting on your review:) I love this series and I'm pretty sure that you will too Michelle, but Marvin, I could have told you that you would not like this. Did someone recommend it to you? Sorry to whoever did. :)

I tend to agree with you on most books, these types being the large exception. To be fair, the first book is the weakest. I only read the first 4 books because I bought them super cheap as a set. I read them all together before joining Goodreads and rated them flat 4s since I could not remember in which book certain things happened. At book 5 the series reached a new level for me, the reason why I love this series so much. Yet I would never have recommended it to you Marvin, though I am surprised you didn't even finish! Quitter!!

I bet I can find some books that you would like Marvin, though you never seem to be in short supply of excellent reads, and Michelle, I agree with Marvin and think you should read this to at least find out who you agree more with. I'm betting that you rate a 3. I knew Marvin would rate a 1!

Marvin This was a free book for the Kindle but I know some people who love Kim Harrison so I wanted to give the author a try. Those same people think Twilight. is the best book ever so that should have been a big warning!

message 2: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Hahaha...you guys are too funny. I am going to try to get this book so I can put my two cents in.

Sylvia, as in Plath, who committed suicide by putting her head in the oven. Your melodramatics crack me up sometimes, Marvin.

Happy Halloween, my two hilarious friends. :)

Marvin Oh yeah...Sylvia. I should have got that one.

And Happy Halloween to you too.