Laura's Reviews > I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression

I Don't Want to Talk About It by Terrence Real

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: communication, read-2012
Read from March 03 to April 29, 2012

In both books (How Can I Get Through to You and I Don't Want to Talk About It), Terrence Real uses stories (names and important details changed to protect the clients) from his work with patients to explore the world of men's emotions. In How Can I Get Through to You, Real explores the complexities of male - female relationships. In I Don't Want to Talk about It, the book begins with male overt depression and covert depression. Real argues that covert male depression is more prevalent than our society acknowledges. And I can agree with this. Ultimately Real argues that men will address their depression when they re-connect to humanity starting with their wives and families. In addition to using stories from patients, Real explores his family's history. I found the sharing of his family story quite brave. There was more in How Can I Get Through to You that connected to me. For a while, I thought it was because of the book's premise and emphasis on couple's therapy. But I think this book suffers from repetition and covering too much territory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Want to Talk About It.