Manday's Reviews > The Plot Against America

The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010, historical-fiction, seasonal-challenge-2010-summer
Read from July 13 to 23, 2010

This is an alternate history in which instead of Roosevelt winning the 1940 election, Charles Lindbergh (yes, the pilot, also known anti-semite and nazi sympathizer) becomes president. I have several thoughts about the book but they are not well joined.

(1) Before you read this book, make sure you know the real political history of this era and timeline of Charles Lindbergh's life and WWII so you can keep track of reality and fiction in this book!

(2) I listened to this as an audiobook, and it seriously made me paranoid, angry, and other various locations.

(3) Roth's style is somewhat wordy. It took a LONG time to get into the rhythm of it, especially with all the lists (what celebrities attend a wedding, what stamps are in a collection, etc)

(4) At certain points, Roth does an excellent job of catching the naivete of childhood, at other times his narrator is a bit too smart for his age.

(5) I feel like Roth loses the thread at the end. While the rest of the book integrates the political story with the main characters life, the last section spews history all over you and entirely neglects the main character, with his story's conclusion almost feeling like a afterthought.

Overall, a good read with plenty of insight about how politics and religion affect our lives and how easily we could go down another path.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plot Against America.