Rebecca's Reviews > Dead to the World

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Feb 20, 10

bookshelves: made-into-movies
Read on February 20, 2010, read count: 1

I have to say that I'm a bigger fan of the TrueBlood series than the Sookie Stackhouse books. It's very rare for a TV series to have more character development and a more complicated plot than the books it's supposed to be following, but. there you are. I also really enjoy Bill Compton as played by Stephen Moyer, but find Book!Bill kind of a jerk. Although he was in a whooping three scenes of this book (and I haven't read the predecessor, Club Dead, because the library didn't have it in), I see no reason to change that assessment. However, I do find the books are getting progressively better; the writing is smoother, the characters better developed, and the plot infinitely more complicated and better executed. I didn't finish it with the feeling of "and..? where's the rest of it?" that I've had after the last two books, that she'd gotten bored and just said "Rocks fall, everyone dies, the end." I still think the books could all benefit from about another 50-100 pages, because the subplots always end up suffering and having a tacked-on resolution at the end, although again, this one dealt with the subplot better than the others. I am having a little trouble with the whole "every Supe that meets Sookie falls in love with her" plot device; it's a little too fan-fiction to be used seriously, and in EVERY BOOK. But I hope that, as Charlaine Harris continues to mature as a writer, she will move away from some of these Mary Sue tendencies, and let the books stand on their own feet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to the World.