Marie's Reviews > Girlfriend in a Coma

Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland

Feb 20, 10

bookshelves: own, fiction

** spoiler alert ** This book was.... weird.

Karen goes on a ski trip with a few of her friends and her boyfriend Richard. And then after a life breaking event, she falls into a coma. No one can figure out how or why. That's not the weird part. They find out she's pregnant! And she manages to have a baby while she's in a coma. Richard is now a single teenage father.

Fast forward a few years. The book gets boring in the middle where it describes Richard being a single father and his friends lives in the present as well as his. Apparently no one knows what they're doing or what they WANT to do.

Fast forward some more, Karen finally wakes up from her coma. She realizes she has a daughter (who at the time she woke up, was also pregnant from her jerk face boyfriend). She wakes up trying to warn everyone of a plague that's about to destroy the world.

Then the plague hits. The description of what was going on during and after this plague was a little disturbing. Why would you put so much detail into something like this!

Though the book was weird and to me, went in a million different directions.... I did find the ending to be very strong and interesting. I'm a bit disappointed that the good part of the book didn't come until the last few chapters.

Though it did struggle with being interesting, I would recommend to read this book at least once in your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girlfriend in a Coma.