K's Reviews > Out Stealing Horses

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

F_50x66
Feb 21, 10

bookshelves: couldntfinish, maybe-it-s-me

I'm really sorry, Rebecca, for what this may do to your universe but I just. Can't. Finish. This. Book.

It's short enough that I should be able to do it, and maybe if I didn't have a stack of more tempting books waiting I would exercise more self-discipline. Fortunately or unfortunately, though, that's not the case.

Under the circumstances I can't give an in-depth review, but I can list some things I didn't like and hope this is helpful:

1. Long descriptions of logging and farming, especially when they comprise a high proportion of the book itself.

2. Red herrings, i.e., anecdotes or characters that seem like they'll develop into something meaningful but end up being peripheral.

3. Heavily foreshadowed illicit romance.

4. A boring story (or more accurately, non-story) taking place in the present which is merely an obvious excuse to tell the story in the past. If the past story is what it's all about, why not just tell that story? Why distract me with present-day events if they're not remotely interesting?

As another reviewer said, this book seems to have won lots of critical acclaim so I guess I'm in the minority. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out Stealing Horses.

02/21/2010 page 75
28.41% "I'm just not a farming kind of girl...the urge to skim is irresistible, and if it doesn't improve soon, I think I'll just stop reading." 4 comments

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca You tried, you tried....it isn't your fault that the universe is once again horribly out of whack and filled with aliens and black holes and spinning vortexes of death.....It's partly my fault for being on goodreads at midnight...nothing good ever comes of it....Ah well, so does anyone actually steal any horses?

message 1: by K (new) - rated it 1 star

K I know, my universe gets that way too. Being on goodreads at midnight is sometimes the cause, and sometimes the symptom...

So they try to steal the horses, sort of, but not really; it's just a prank where they plan to ride them without permission and it goes wrong, but that episode ends up being pretty marginal in the scheme of things. Maybe it had some later relevance, but I didn't read far enough to find out.