H.I. Al-Muhairi's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, disappointing, ya, dystopian, urban-fantasy, 2011
Read from May 03 to June 09, 2011

For a trilogy that started strong, this was a let down.

I can't begin to describe how I feel about this; I mean, I've been obsessing about The Hunger Games ever since I read the first book in January, 2010. I loved Katniss's character; how she always put others before herself, the sacrifices she made for others.

This wasn't the same Katniss in Mockingjay we all knew. The new Katniss is a broken, tired of everything, and barely feeling for anybody girl. She let everybody doll her up and boss her around; she just let the rebellion exploit her.

It scared me when she was barely moved by the sight of dead bodies or people she loved dying around her. What inhuman being did she change to? I think Collins wanted to show us what war could do to a person like Katniss--war is war a hundred years from now or a thousand and it affects everybody the same. Katniss wasn't Ms. Sunshine but she didn't have this defeated aura around her before. She wasn't so blinded with the mission of killing President Snow so much she didn't see anything else.

It was depressing, like many reviewers said, to read Mockingjay. If I ever decided to reread the books, I'd stop at the second book before this Katniss imposter showed up.

Oh, and when did Collins's writing get so choppy? I might've not noticed it in the first two but it was annoying to read a couple of words and stop and start over again with a new sentence.

From the first page, second paragraph:

"The only area that escaped incineration was the Victor's Village. I don't why exactly. Perhaps so anyone forced to come here on Capitol business would have somewhere reasonable to stay. The odd reporter. A committee assessing the condtion of the coal mines. A squad of Peacekeepers checking for returning refugess."

Was the book even edited or was it published straight away as it was?

P.S: I do know Katniss is a fictional character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

05/03/2011 page 15
3.0% "I'm feeling pretty bad for Katniss, she doesn't deserve this bucketload of responsibility on her shoulders."