Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Hunter Kiss

Hunter Kiss by Marjorie M. Liu

Feb 20, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: angels-demons, hunters-warriors-assassins, read-in-2010, urban-fantasy, paranormal, do-not-own, prequel
Read on February 20, 2010

I began reading Iron Hunt and was having a confusing time of it when someone mentioned that there was a prequel (thank you, Kendra) so I put Iron Hunt down and read this. It explained how Maxine met Grant and described some of her background, all very helpful but for someone who constantly moves around and avoids men like the plague, Maxine sure did fall into bed with Grant very quickly, they're not even well-matched or have much chemistry. Grant gravitated towards Maxine like a moth to flame and Maxine appears to be settling with Grant because she doesn't want to run any more, she wants a home and Grant can provide one.

The story was interesting, however the writing made it hard for me to connect with the characters despite it being written in the first person. I'm a big fan of first person narrative but the language was so formal and old fashioned with a lot of "I cannot" and "I did not" instead of "I can't" and "I didn't". This wasn't set in the past nor was it written decades ago, it made the story move more slowly and Maxine seem very detached and unemotional which left me feeling bored, bewildered and very thankful that this was only novella and not a full-length book.

The action at the end had me wondering if this storyline was going to be continued because the resolution was too quick and easy. One minute Grant was going to die and become enslaved and the next they are both out of danger and dismissed with a warning.

I will read Iron Hunt and it's sequel as they were impulse buys at a closing down sale but if I hadn't have done that I wouldn't bother reading them after suffering through this very dry ebook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter Kiss.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I did the same thing. i read inked which had some of maxine's story. then when i look elsewhere everything i found pointed to the iron hunt being the start of the seris. i just finished reading it last night. now i guess i'll read this so then i can get back on track.