Seth Dickson's Reviews > The Hero of Ages

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Apr 16, 2010

Read from April 08 to 14, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book was easily the most hopeless of the trilogy. From the very beginning you know the world is going to end and even though you can't help but hang on to some hope that they will manage to get their happy ending, things just keep getting worse and worse every chapter. Even the things they do succeed at, they accept as doing nothing but delaying the inevitable. And just when you think they are finally going to get their big break and turn it all around, the whole world falls apart around them.

That being said, This book may very well be one of my favorites. Ever. It had one of the best endings I have ever read and I'm still trying to get over how awesome it was! I just couldn't see how he was going to tie everything together in a way that made sense and still manage to save the world, yet he did it. In fact I was almost getting bothered by how Sazed had turned into this hopeless, depressed character with nothing going for him and mountains of useless information. I probably should have realized it was building to something, instead I was just waiting for them to get back to Vin, who, by the way, turned out to be one of my favorite characters of all time. Her fight with the Inquisitors was amazing, and I Loved how the mists were finally explained! The hardest thing about the second book was how the mists had gone from such a good thing to something evil and ominous, so it was awesome to realize they were actually a force for good. I could go on and on about what a good ending it was, but probably what made it the best was how even though Vin and Elend died, they died the way they wanted to and saved the world in the process. I really liked the inference that there is a Heaven, and that it is a place of peace and joy and that Vin finally found a place where she could find rest. My favorite line was from Sazed in saying that of all the people to hold Preservation's power, She was the most worthy.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero of Ages.