Laurie's Reviews > The Penelopiad

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

Feb 21, 10

bookshelves: library-books
Read from February 19 to 21, 2010

Margaret Atwood's take on what good ole Penelope was up to for those 20 years Odysseus was away. Simple premise. Simple book.

For me, Margaret Atwood always gets me out of reading slumps and excited about books again. This was no exception. Even better, it was not even 200 pages. A nice, short, shot in the arm.

I liked this because I like how Margaret Atwood gets into a woman's mind and represents it. I like that this shifted perspectives and narratives every once and a while with a twist on the traditional Greek chorus. She had a way of making Mythology real, in a way it never really seems when you read it from the perspective of those like Ovid.

I've heard people whine about how trite it is to take a feminist perspective on something like Greek Mythology. Silly even. I disagree. I feel that it is natural to want to give a voice to those that were collectively voiceless in some of the most important tales to literature that came after, if not the importance to society as a whole. I also believe that Margaret Atwood is wrongly labeled as a feminist; instead she is just distinctly feminine, and honest. If people want to take this honesty as an agenda, then I suppose so be it.

I liked what she had to say. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penelopiad.

02/19/2010 page 102
51.52% "only Atwood could make me relate this strongly to Penelope."