Sean1977's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

U_50x66
Feb 19, 10

Read in February, 2010

I was in B&N with $20 to by a book. I had Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman in one hand and this book in the other. I could only get one and I chose this one. I have not read Omens yet, but I already know I made a mistake.
Not only is Sedaris not funny, but I do not understand the point of this book. I asked myself about 5 pages in "why am I reading this?" and I continued to ask myself that same question every 5 pages or so. I'm thinking that the main theme of this book is that Sedaris is gay and has known he is gay all his life. Here is the problem, Sedaris missed the boat. No one cares anymore. Maybe 20 years ago when, for some strange reason people were interested in hearing stories about gay people who came out of the closet (Elen Degenerous, Rob Helford etc.) this would have been a topical book, but ever since homosexuality became so main stream--the fad is over. NO ONE CARES ANYMORE.
I have nothing against homosexuals, and the fact that that seems to be the driving theme to this book has nothing to do with me not enjoying this book.
What I didn't like about this book, aside from the fact that it was not interesting or funny, or served any purpos at all, is that it seemed very egotisticle for someone to write this. Who is David Sedaris? and why is anyone supposed to give a sh@t about this autobiography.
I almost never critisize books I did not like this harshly, but how in love with himself must Sedaris be to write this and think people need and want to read it? And a more important question is, why is this book so popular?
So if you are in a bookstore with a twenty-dollar bill and you are deciding between this and any other book--get the other one.

P.S. I didnt actually finish the book, but I'm sure I didn't miss anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.