Jess's Reviews > Where Dreams Begin

Where Dreams Begin by Lisa Kleypas

Feb 20, 10

bookshelves: 2010, lisa-kleypas
Read from February 19 to 20, 2010

This is my first Kleypas historical that isn't in a series. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but I saw that many of my friends had rated it very highly and decided to just give it a try. I ended up really enjoying myself, and read it well into last night, finishing it the same day. I just didn't want to put the book down. Zachary Bronson is a man that is ignored by the peer society in England. They consider him beneath them because he was a "mover up" in society. He was a part of the lower class and began to slowly gain more and more money, and at this time that was not respected among the wealthy. He needs a wife to help him gain respectability, and he thinks he has found the perfect woman. Holly Taylor is a widow, and she is just coming out of her full grieving period of 3 years for the husband she lost. She has a daughter Rose, and is worried about their future. They are both living with the family of her late husband, and when Mr. Bronson offers her a deal that will help secure Rose's future, Holly decides to take it. Her entire family has misgivings, because of course Mr. Bronson isn't a peer and he has a terrible reputation, but Holly believes that this opportunity will help her daughter even if it ruins her reputation.

I loved both of these characters. It was impossible to not love Mr. Bronson and his exploits and his desire to get what he wants. The plot was predictable, but the amusement of this book was not in knowing the ending but in discovering how the characters got to the ending.

I think that I will be reading anything by Kleypas at this point. I love her work, and she has made me a fan of the historical romances that she writes, where other authors have tried and failed miserably. on to the next book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Dreams Begin.