Rebecca's Reviews > Don't Mean Nothing: Short Stories of Vietnam

Don't Mean Nothing by Susan O'Neill

Feb 21, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, fiction, historical-fiction, short-stories, travel
Read in February, 2010

Loved this book. Had it on my TBR list for a while on the sole basis that it was about Vietnam and at the same time my parents were working/living/serving in the country. I didn't realise until I read the intro that it is fictional but based on an American nurses time in Vietnam. The basis is very similar to Tim O'Brien's books about Vietnam, there is a fine line between fiction and the truth and thye best stories have some sort of truth intertwined somewhere. The fact that it is fiction takes nothing away from the story being told.

If you liked The Things They Carried, then this is similar but from a females perspective of working and living in a war zone. Highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Mean Nothing.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

“Vietnam is still, as it was thirty years ago, a poor country of rice paddy farms and sandy harbors, where fishermen cast nets from boats with eyes painted on the bows. It is overcrowded, prey to floods and sweatshops, dotted by modern cities and tiny hamlets of thatched huts with TV antennae. It is not a great capital of industry, or an international oil field or bread basket. There is nothing in Vietnam, now, that America truly needs. And there was even less thirty years ago. This country, these people, posed no real threat to us. It was a strange place to send our youth - not to learn a new culture or to enjoy the beaches, but to kill and be killed, to be maimed and to patch up the maimed. I am convinced that, to our government, Vietnam really, truly Didn't Mean Nothing.”
Susan O'Neill, Don't Mean Nothing: Short Stories of Vietnam

02/19/2010 page 208
68.42% "Loving this book - didn't realise that it was a fictional basis, but would compare it to Tim O'Brien's books"