JenBee's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: all-pnr-uf, 2010-read, 7-series-read, favorites, x-reviewed-old, 5-read-fiction, 3-steampunk, 1st-in-series, 6-owned-physical
Read from July 23 to August 06, 2010 — I own a copy

I loved Soulless! Alexia Tarabotti is a 26 year old spinster who is intelligent and fashionable, who is prone to dark skin and drinks a lot of tea! Always found with her parasol and two hair pins made of silver and wood, she would one day like to fly in a dirigible. She also happens to be a preternatural, “Soulless” which is almost as embarrassing as having an Italian father.

A preternatural is born without a soul. When she touches a supernatural Alexia effectively neutralises them, the vampires fang retreat and the werewolf becomes human again. Alexia accidentally kills a rogue vampire at start of book with a wooden hat pin when she is attacked. She is most perturbed when he did not seem to know she was a preternatural!

Alexia is a wonderfully strong and interesting character. She is very much the alpha female, yet manages to do this within the social constraints of 1870’s London!

In the Victorian London world created by Gail Carriger, vampires and werewolves have been integrated into society. Queen Victoria even has a werewolf and a vampire advisor (dewan and potentate) who we are told have helped immensely in developing the British Empire. The werewolves are, of course, lead by their alpha - Lord Macon while the vampires live in hives. This world is very enjoyable and the requirements of Victorian society makes a wonderful contrast with werewolf society, Lord Macon finding it especially difficult to maintain the proper etiquette around the full moon!

There are many excellent characters in Soulless. Lord Aceldama, Alexia’s eccentric flamboyant friend who happens to be a gay vampire. Professor Lyall, the beta werewolf, carries his role as ‘second’ to Lord Macon wonderfully in a capable and humorous way! Not forgetting Miss Hisselpenny with her questionable taste in hats and Floote the butler.

Soulless is not primarily a romance but there is Lord Macon who Alexia has been at odds with since “The Hedgehog Incident”, who it turns out rather likes Alexia after all!

The style and language takes a little getting used to but once you do it helps build the atmosphere of Victorian London.

Souless is humorous and very well written with a little bit of mystery mixed in with the fantasy and it may just leave you hankering after a treacle tart! Well worth the read and I’m very much looking forward to reading the second book in the Parasol Protectorate series, Changeless!

My review was published on my blog, if you'd like to check my blog out visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

07/24/2010 page 35
10.0% 3 comments
08/03/2010 page 154
43.0% 3 comments
08/05/2010 page 203
57.0% "Miss Tarabotti makes me think about getting a parasol!" 3 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Heya, how are you enjoying this one? I don't think I have ever read anything quite like it before!

JenBee It's definitely different. I like it so far.

Catherine This was a fun one. I loved it. I just picked up the second one, Changeless, yesterday.

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH It makes you want to have a parasol and make fun of your friend's frilly hats.

Catherine Or argue with grumpy men. :)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) It gave me a massive craving for treacle tarts : )

Pixie/PageTurners(Amber) C. I keep hearing great things about this- but I am having trouble getting into it.

JenBee Stick with it Amber I think it's really worth it!

Catherine I'm glad you liked it Jen. I thought it was a lot of fun.

Alisha Loved the review, Jen!