Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Ruthless

Ruthless by Anne Stuart

Do What Thou Wilt, But Don't Fall in Love!

I don't even know what to say! I loved this book so much. I savored it, stretching it out, not wanting it to end. I was completely immersed in this book. I was no longer in Texas, modern day. I was in France in the 1700s.

I don't know how Ms. Anne Stuart does it. She can take the most objectionable type of hero, and make me fall in love with him. Let me say, I am a devout Christian. I can't even imagine even pretending to worship the devil, or to hold orgies in which one does things that are unspeakable, just because you can. That should have turned me off of Lord Rohan. But, with Ms. Stuart's incredible writing skill, it wasn't even an issue for me. I am very glad that she didn't dwell on those aspects, although they were there in the background. This is a book about a rakehell who was the leader of festivities along the lines of the real Hellfire Club, so that aspect had to be present. But, I didn't have to see him doing any of that. I was fine that I didn't. Now, he definitely did some fornication (even after he met Elinor). I was okay with that, because that was who he was, before he fell in love. Once, he had Elinor in his heart, that was over for him, even if he didn't want to admit it to himself for her. And I was gratified that he didn't allow anything to go on there that wasn't between consensual adults.

No question about it, Elinor and Rohan are one of my favorite couples now. Anne Stuart-wise, and period. There was something so delectable about their interactions, the by-play between them. Even though Francis was sixteen years older than Elinor (old enough to be her father, and he was quite active at that age, in his own words), Elinor was able to hold her own with him. Elinor had some serious pluck. I love a heroine who is strong, and no question about Elinor's strength. She is no Xena, and she didn't have to be, in order to captivate Rohan, and to make me love her. She is true to herself, forthright, and brave (in ways I can't even fathom). Francis was a very bad boy, but he had a core of him that was good and decent. He did things for Elinor that he really had no reason to do. He showed her love even before he knew what the word meant. How could I not love him for that? The sexual tension in this story was off the charts, and the love scenes aren't even until near the end. That's talent to me. I felt the sizzle through every conversation, the exchange of glances, the way Rohan pursued and Elinor fled. It was magic on the page.

Yes, I know. It's clear that I love Anne Stuart so much, that some may doubt my objectivity. But, I will say it if I don't think a book by a favorite author is my favorite. But, with Ruthless, there is no question that this one is a stellar read. I wish that Ms. Stuart released books every year. When she doesn't have books out, I mourn the dearth, and I pine for her books. I have especially longed for her historicals, because she writes them so well, with the dark aspects, the multi-faceted characters, the writing subtlety that conveys so much, the intensity that I crave in a romance story. I am happy to say that this book truly makes me happy. I am still replaying the scenes in my head. The skillfully nuanced courtship of Rohan and Elinor, and the powerful love story here. The sad, heartbreaking things in their pasts. I got choked up a few times. I was touched on such a deep level, I feel it right now as I write this review. I think that readers who enjoy meaty, intense, darker historicals with strong, vibrant characters will be very happy with Ruthless. I foresee myself rereading this book soon and often. Bravo, Ms. Stuart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruthless.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Liked

Anne Stuart
“Please go away, Monsieur le Comte,” she said in a polite voice. “You must have tired of your absurd, inconsequential games by now.”
“My games are never inconsequential, as long as they entertain me.”
She closed her eyes in frustration for a brief moment. “This house is filled with beautiful women…”
“Oh, not quite filled,” he said frankly, leaning back. “The Revels won’t start for another day. At this point there are no more than half a dozen beauties in residence.”
“Then why don’t you go bother one of them?”
“Because I don’t want one of them, my sweet. I want you.”
Anne Stuart, Ruthless

Anne Stuart
“If I am ever in the position where I wish to seduce someone I will simply assure her it’s better than rats.”
Anne Stuart, Ruthless

02/21/2016 marked as: read

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Tammy, you said it well about her historical heroes. :)

Shawna Wonderful review, Danielle! You make me want to read this right now! :)

Tammy Walton Grant Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Tammy, you said it well about her historical heroes. :)"

Aw, thanks!

message 54: by Brylit (new)

Brylit LD! You R sooo inciteful and insightful. Love to read this one and possibly the whole series. ;-) Enjoy all of your reviews and even some of the Harlequins. BryLit

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) You're welcome, Tammy.

Thanks, Shawna. I want to reread it again right now!

Thanks, Brylit. I think you'd like this one.

Cindi "Sly-with-a-wink bad". How apt a description for Rohan. I'm only on p. 233 and I love him. He's def a bad boy heading towards going good at this point.

Quinn Danielle & Tammy - I loved this book! Thanks for encouraging me to give it a try!

message 58: by Yvonne (last edited Nov 07, 2010 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yvonne Fantastic review Danielle. I love Anne Stuart and have only read her contemporary work but after your review I'm moving "Ruthless" to the top of my list. Shawna loaned the book to me after our last meeting - thanks Shawna! I'm going to read it right now!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Quinn, I'm glad to hear it! Yvonne, I hope you like it!

message 60: by Brylit (new)

Brylit Loved the only AS I've read so far, Black Ice was wonderful and cannot wait to dive into Ruthless. Hope I won't be disappointed, Lady D.
Brylit
p.s. Looking for it on your bookshelf.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Hi Brylit. Lacy has my copy, but I am sure she'd be fine if I give to you to read first.

message 62: by Brylit (new)

Brylit Not a problem. The rave reviews of so many AS novels and my intro with BLACK ICE prompted a raid on the Anne Stuart shelf @ the local used book store, sorry I have such a TBR pile now.
Can't complain though. :) Brylit

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I'm jazzed you were able to build up your AS collection!

message 64: by Brylit (new)

Brylit I am too! Thanks for the heads up and RUTHLESS. :)
Brylit

message 65: by Treece (new) - added it

Treece Danielle, I'm excited about putting this on my booklist after reading your review today. Excellent!

message 67: by Vashti (new)

Vashti Wonderful teview Danielle.

« previous 1 2 next »