Patrick's Reviews > The Snows of Kilimanjaro, and Other Stories

The Snows of Kilimanjaro, and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway

Feb 25, 10

I'm reading a real old-ass copy of this they were throwing away at the public library in an attempt to escape what I found to be the obscurantism of Maldoror. Hemingway writes like an ingenious 8th grader (which I mean as a compliment, though interestingly I consider Quentin Tarrantino to be a really talented teenager, which I mean as an insult) and I haven't read him in a while so it's funny to see he writes exactly as we all remember, in a complete self-parody of himself. Anyway he's fun and easy to read and maybe by reading this I will get myself to read some Richard Brautigan next, since I consider his writing to be a sort of like Ernest Hemingway's, only funnier.

All of Hemingway's war stories mix together in my head, and smack of "stoic romanticism," but I like Hemingway's deadpan (and thus funny) dialogue delivery most of the time and I am intrigued by the cipher character Nick Adams, who appears in a lot of Hemingway's stories as a stand-in past perspective who doesn't seem to ever internally evolve despite the many unconnected stories he appears in. After feeling bleh about the Snows of Killimanjero, the most unabashedly Hemingway story of the lot, with all its trappings of stilted dialogue and macho white man metaphors, I warmed up to the rest, and especially loved the last story, which I found to be, in Hemingway words, "damn fine." I'm always into stories about manhood and cowardliness and there isn't a better person on that subject than Ernest Hemingway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snows of Kilimanjaro, and Other Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayaprakash (new)

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Re: manhood and cowardliness, you might like some of the stories in a book I just finished, The Strange Adventures Of Mr. Andrew Hawthorn and Other Stories by Richard Buchan. Buchan's prose and the background he writes from are very different from Hemingway's but he also hits some of the same motifs you've identified in Hemingway's fiction.

message 2: by Patrick (new) - added it