Dawna Bentley's Reviews > Daisy Chain

Daisy Chain by Mary E. DeMuth

F 50x66
Mar 09, 10

Read from February 19 to March 09, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This was a free kindle book that I came across. The synopsis sounded good so I gave it a try. It took my a while to get through this book. It had a great beginning, but was slow moving through the rest of the book, with a disappointing ending. It's the story of 14 year old Jed, whose best friend, Daisy, goes missing one night. Throughout the book poor Jed struggles with the guilt for not walking her home and protecting her, trying to stand up to his abusive father (who is a well respected preacher), wanting to protect his sister and mother from their father's abuse, all the while trying to find out what happened to Daisy. It moved really slow until **SPOILER ALERT** poor Jed finds Daisy's body hidden under some brush in the woods. At this point I think it will pick up and unveal who harmed Daisy......but it doesn't. The book kinda goes off in another direction until it comes to a close -barely mentioning that the news of what really happened to Daisy was too painful for Jed to want to remember. It leaves the reader hanging and having to speculate on their own of WHO DID IT? There were some good discussion questions at the back of the book that would be good to chat with someone else about. It looks like there is a second book that focuses on Daisy's mother and her determination to find the killer. However, if you're like me and need some type of closure at the end of a book, I wouldn't recommend it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daisy Chain.