Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > Vampire Academy

Sep 01, 15

bookshelves: young-adult, book-list-2010, urban-fantasy
Read from February 19 to November 25, 2010

*may contain spoilers*

What a great first book to a series - I really enjoyed this, I couldn't put it down it was so good. I was expecting something a little more 'young' adult (along the lines of the House of Night series) but instead the characters are all quite mature. The book itself is written with more of a mature tone than other YA books I have read, and I much prefer this style of writing. I think it helped that one of the characters was twenty-four years old.

There are two types of vampire; the Moroi who are 'good' vampires and who are alive. They have the ability to use magic, wielding the four elements of air, water, earth and fire. The other type is a Strigoi, these are evil and although both types need blood, Strigoi kill while taking it.There are also Dhampirs who are half Moroi and half human. They don't need to drink blood to survive but because they have faster and better reflexes than the Moroi are instead trained as their Guardians. The academy is where the Guardians train, graduate and get assigned to a Moroi to protect.

'Vampire Academy' begins outside of the school with Rose, the main protagonist, and her best friend, Lissa, who are on the run. Something happened at the academy that frightened them both and so they decided to run away. Unfortunately they are being hunted and have to keep moving, until one night they are captured by the academy's guardians and brought back to the school. This is the first time Rose meets Guardian Dimitri Belikov. There's an instant attraction between them and it's this relationship that makes the book great for me.

Surprisingly, I also liked every single character. It's quite unusual for me to like every character but in Vampire Academy I did. Even those that are annoying and hateful I still enjoyed reading about.

Rose is conceited and somewhat arrogant at times, but I didn't mind. Although she thought she was hot and boys were 'crazy' about her, she's also very loyal, bold and feisty. I thought she brought a great sense of courage and determination to her character. Rose is a guardian in training and is hoping to be Lissa's guardian when she graduates. What I also liked about this book is it showed the Guardians in training. I liked that it didn't shy away from the fact that Dhampirs aren't as strong or as quick as Strigoi. We get to see how much Rose has to train to be strong, fast and quick-thinking. She spends hours each day honing her craft, which is where she falls for Dimitri - and who wouldn't!

Dimitri is swoon worthy. I love his character and I also like the fact that he's in his twenties, which means he shows a lot of maturity instead of the typical school boy hangups I find so tedious sometimes in young adult literature. I can understand why Rose succumbs as Damitri is a Guardian too, but stoically so. He is nicknamed 'the God' and he shows why in everything he does. He becomes her role model as well her friend. Rose's crush on him grows into something much more and she knows he feels the same way, but there are many factors, as well as age, that keeps them apart.

Rose's friend, Lissa is a lovely character. She's a Moroi Princess and is very sweet natured. She relies heavily on Rose to protect her. Lissa also has the ability to heal, and when she brought Rose back from the dead after a fatal accident they are now bonded. This means that Rose can feel all the emotions of Lissa - unfortunately it's only one way. But because of this their friendship is deep and meaningful.

The other characters are also just as well-written and perfectly well rounded and the story itself kept my interest from beginning to end. It's fast paced and exciting and the climax at the end I really didn't see coming (and that doesn't happen very often).

VERDICT:

'Vampire Academy' is one of the best young adult books in the paranormal genre I've read. There are strong female characters and a great storyline with a plot that is immensely intriguing. I would highly recommend this book to all paranormal fans in a heart-beat. Why it took me so long to start this series I don't know, but I'm so glad I've started it now. It's brilliant and I'm completely hooked!!
54 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

11/25/2010 page 180
06/14/2015 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

J.D. Field Great Review. Gonna read it now

Ronyell Awesome review!! I've just read this and I loved it!!

Alex I'm gonna read this book and from this review it really got me interested and deteremined to read this right away

message 4: by Riya (new)

Riya thank you for taking the time to write this review. it explained the book very well without revealing anything too important - i am now really looking forward to reading this novel.

Ameera You described this book perfectly:)

Carolyn (Book Chick City) Ameera wrote: "You described this book perfectly:)"

Montana one of the BEST reviews I have read for VA . love ur review