Paula Hebert's Reviews > Dark Summer

Dark Summer by Iris Johansen

F_50x66
Feb 18, 10

for years, in bookstores and libraries, looking for my next literary fix, I have seen the rows and rows of ms. johansen's output, and just passed them by. well, I finally decided to see what was so special about them, what with being a new york times best seller and all. and I am telling you, this book was just awful. the premise itself wasn't that bad, but the book read more like a script for a mediocre tv movie than a good book. more dialogue than prose, with a heavy bodice-ripper element, this is a book for someone who doesn't like to read. I got half way through it(and it was a mighty struggle, let me tell you) and I just couldn't stand it anymore. who did this woman pay to get them to put her on the ny times best seller list? don't waste your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barb (new)

Barb Heart Ah ha --- thanks for letting us all know. Great comments

Sharon I am only half way through Dark Summer and I agree it's not her best, however I am still enjoying it. Have you read other books by Iris Johansen? She is one of my favorite authors and her Eve Duncan Series is phenominal. There are 9 in the series and I have read 7 so far with ratings of 4 & 5 stars for all 7 books. I recommend you give it a looksy. You may find you like this series instead of her novels. I'd love to hear what you think.

Louise You must have read her first books that read more like Harlequin books. Try the Eve Duncan series.

Marianne I totally agree with your review. I'm going to give the Eve Duncan series a try...based on comments from Sharon and Louise.

Louise Read "Eve", "Quinn" and "Bonnie" after you read the rest of the Eve Duncan books for the best reading experience. P.S. Read them in order.

Marianne Thanks for the tip, Louise. I will probably start the Eve Duncan series in the fall...with a fresh outlook for this author's work.