Jacqui's Reviews > The Rising Tide: A Novel of World War II

The Rising Tide by Jeff Shaara

Feb 18, 10

bookshelves: military, history
I own a copy

Jeff Shaara's Rising Tide, part of his WWII trilogy, is a remarkable example of the strengths of historic fiction. 'Historic' because Shaara is painstakingly accurate about all knowable details of the war to end all wars, and 'fiction' because no one can really reproduce all of the personal conversations between generals and political leaders that drove that war. Shaara admirably lives up to--even surpasses--his father Michael Shaara's Killer Angels, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the Civil War, pretty much required reading in most high schools. Not only do readers become intimate with the reasoning behind the Allies Africa campaign, the German Panzer tank battles in Africa, the first use of paratroopers as a weapon, but the story is so compelling, I doubt anyone will ever forget details that would have never been remembered in a textbook. For example, I'm sure I knew at some point in the past that Rommel was sick during his tank campaign in Africa, but it took this book to drive the importance of that point home. I happened to read this at the same time as 100 Days, Sandy Woodward's account of the Brit war for the Falklands Island and realized what a massive difference there is between the American and British battle mentality. Americans focus on the end result--how do we win the war with the least loss of life--and the Brits focus on details--approvals, press reaction, cross t's and dotting i's. I mean no disrespect to either side, just an observation. The only regret you'll have reading this book is, it's a trilogy. Now, you have to read two more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rising Tide.