Heidi Cullinan's Reviews > State of Mind

State of Mind by Libby Drew

Mar 24, 10

Read on March 24, 2010

Sometimes there are books you wish you could write but you know you can't. Like maybe you watched Jason Bourne and wished you could go slash him, but you know you're shit for action adventure, so you don't. Well, Jason Bourne has been slashed and also given extra-sensory powers. It's like X-men MEETS Jason Bourne but with less costumes. It's well-plotted, well-paced, and well-developed without being overdone. And don't read it before bed uniess you can sleep in the next day. Learned that the hard way.

What I love most about Drew's style is that she has such a light hand and such rigid control. Only a true wordsmith could make such control and deliberation look so casual. And I'm totally green because she was able—in a two hundred page novel—to introduce multiple points of view and make it really, really work. In fact, the story had to have it. That's the hardest thing to do, and people usually mess it up all to hell, but not Drew. Yes, she can wield five needles at once and still make it look easy and natural.

The characters are fun, and funny, but also beautifully flawed and shadowed—and again, subtly handled. There isn't a drop of gooey angst; these are real men here.

So go out and buy State of Mind. It's available everywhere, and so long as you don't read at ten PM when you should be sleeping, you won't regret a moment of your time. (And even if you read it at ten PM, all you'll regret is that you have to get up so early in the morning.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read State of Mind.

03/24/2010 page 116
52.25% "Libby Drew, it's your fault I'm tired, keeping me up until midnight."
03/24/2010 page 176
79.28% "Fricking hell, Drew. I AM GETTING NOTHING DONE BUT READING YOUR BOOK."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, Heidi!

Heidi Cullinan Thanks! It's a GREAT book. And I don't just say that because she's my friend. It really was a fun ride.