Ch_ebonysmith's Reviews > Joseph Had a Little Overcoat

U 50x66
Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: picture-books
Read in February, 2010

This book is a wonderful story with a great message. Children and adults can learn a little from this story. It basically is about a man who despite his coat getting old and torn, he continues to find use for it. Joseph starts off with an overcoat. It gets old and torn, he makes a vest from it, and the story goes on in this manner. Joseph refuses to throw items he makes away even after they become old or torn, he simply continues to make new things out of the material.

The illustrations are good and it is nice how detailed they are. There are pictures on the walls that look like actual photos and there are newspapers on the floors in which the print can be read. This type of story would be great to tell children that just because something is old, does not mean it is useless. Children will enjoy the colors and the story. Appropriate for ages 5 to 8.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joseph Had a Little Overcoat.

message 1: by Ch_jank-caporale (last edited Feb 18, 2010 07:20PM) (new)

Ch_jank-caporale Ebony, I love Simms Taback's colorful illustrations. Someone else brought this one in a week or so back but I didn't have a chance to look closely. Your description makes me want to read it, especially since "reuse/recycle" is such an important message. I remember when I was growing up, we patched our jeans over and over again- jackets or favorite shirts, too- and the coolest clothes were those that were colorfully patched and elaborately embroidered. Maybe this one will tie into that memory... Thanks for sharing!