Kristi's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Feb 13, 11

Read from December 07 to 26, 2010

Matched drew me in with it's unique summary and beautiful cover, unfortunately that is where my fascination ended.

I wanted to like this book.... actually I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I had a very hard time getting though this novel. I even had to take a break from it completely, and I only kept reading because of the encouragement from others that had read it, insisting that it would get better. It didn't get a whole lot better for me.

I guess my biggest problem was that I was bored for most of the novel. I was bored with the story, the characters.... everything. Cassia was selfish, and dull. I tried to like her, but she never really gave me much reason to. Her relationships with Xander and Ky were impassive, I understand that Xander was 'chosen' for her, so there were going to be fireworks every time they touched, but I still didn't even understand their appeal as friends, not just as a romantically involved couple. And the obsession with Ky... why? And that's all that it felt like to me, an obsession. I didn't feel or see the energy between them.

The Society wasn't explained very well. Why is The Society there? How did it come to be? Why the current precautions? Why are there people that live in The Society and others that don't? There is a war going on? Why? Where? With who? I had more questions than anything.

I didn't know enough about the characters and the life they were living to really care about them. It felt like a very long prologue to another story.

The few chapters at the end of the story piqued my interest somewhat, but even then it was tainted with how I had felt through most of the entire novel. It was beautifully written... but I just couldn't get into it.

Still undecided on reading the rest of the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

12/07/2010 page 142
39.0% "meh..... hoping it gets better." 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Allison  Monarch how are you liking it?

Erika  Forth I am very interested to hear your review. So many positive reviews out there, and so much hype... yet I just finished it, and was very disappointed.

Tina Currently reading and that's how I'm feeling. Can't wait to read the final review.

Reagan Urbanec Have you finished yet? Did you like it better?

fooloveratook Can't wait to see what you think of this one!

Jordyn I thought it got better as it went on. Can't wait to see what you think.

Valerie I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think it's amazing. I'm not finished yet but it's taking me forever to read. I'm very disappointed.

Gabrielle Carolina Oh my, we disagree! I loved it...

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm surprised. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard such good things about it.

Daisy Chain Books I rated this 3 to 3.5. I didn't think it was anything amazing. A little surprised by all the 5 star reviews.

StefanieEmmy I really hope the second book is more fast-paced (can you say that? englisch is not my mother tongue ;D)

Mariya I completely agree with you. I don't think I will read the second book.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my goodness, I absolutely agree with you. You put into words exactly how I felt about it.

message 14: by Keia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Keia I agree with you 100% I was so excited for this book, but it was so much like the Giver that it blew my mind. I will say though I will read the rest of the trilogy because I want to know what happens to Ky.

Francesca I totally agree! The dystopian aspect is not developped at all in this first book! I hope it will be better in the sequel.

Deleetra Henry I'm trying my best to read and finish this book, but it's just not happening!!! I'm getting very uninterested with the book and I agree, Cassia is selfish and dull.

Debbie-marie I agree with you guys all the way.I didn't enjoy the book ENOUGH to read the next one. I know the ending was fast-paced, but it was out of no where. I felt i was thrown into a whole different story. I really dont want to read the next book

Clíodhna I thought it was really good. It wasn't fast paced but it was slow and developing and the romance between Ky and Cassia was sweet and wasn't "Oh my God, I love you, then have a near sex scene". Ky and Cassia had a sweet and childish romance but still were deeply in love.

kelllsify One hundred percent in agreement

Grace My thoughts exactly.

Clíodhna I read the second book and even though I liked the first one I can honestly say that this is a million times better. The chapters are like one in Cassia's POV and the next in Ky's POV which was really interesting how he sees things. It showed more of outside the Society and how the world, even though it is after what they call the "Warming", is still beautiful. It makes me hope that the third and final book will be better.

Carrina I agree and disagree. There were parts that bugged me but overall I loved it. When I read that you felt like it was a prologue, I realized that it actually did feel like one. Sadly.

message 23: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi Oh Kristi, I couldn't have described this book better myself. You said everything & more of what I wanted to say about this. Disappointment!

Oliver Urban Kristi it pretty much is a very long prologue. The second and third books kind of build up and explain the world. The first was pretty much an introduction.

message 25: by Groovychick99 (new)

Groovychick99 I'm new here. Any idea how to download books ? I'd be very grateful.

Megan I'm reading the book right now and you just described my feelings exactly. And im not one to generally give up on books either. The idea was great, but the story didn't deliver.

KelseyKES this is exactly how i feel about the book right now.

Jessy L I seem to feel quite differently while reading this! Like you, the book drew me in right away with the summary and the cover but my attraction continued. I couldn't but this book down to save my life! Every time i stopped i kept wanting to know what was going to happen next! Then again i agree with you that Cassia is selfish... She is matched with her best friend yet she still wants more? I don't feel the energy with Ky either. I wanted her to notice what she was missing with Xander the whole book, and i feel that i was never able to say that she gave him the chance he deserved.

Becki I felt like it pulled together enough in the end to make it worth it, but I spent two thirds of the time I was reading this book wondering what the point of the whole thing was. There are so many unanswered questions, and while it's a really good dystopia, there are things missing. . . Like personalities of the key characters in the story.

Flora (Excessive hubris.) I found it cliche, as in I could predict who Cassia would end up with. What would eventually happen... So predictable...

Rachel Lightwood I totally agree with everything you just wrote! I just finished the book last night and it was terrible. But great review! :P

Taylor Crossed isn't so bad.

Holly I think you hit the nail on the head.

Erika I agree with this 100%. I'm only on Chapter 3 and I'm already bored. I promised myself that I would at least read half of it...wish me luck :/

Jillian You said exactly what I was thinking the whole time I was reading this. I didn't get the obsession with Ky. There was absolutely zero romantic buildup. "Oh, now that I've seen his picture (even though I've seen him everyday), I now love him." ......What?

Sabrina Wilcox I agree, I don't think crossed is any better and Cassia gets more selfish by the minute. Reached was better but still not good.

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma Cooper I'd have to disagree with you about Cassia having an obsession with Ky and him not showing any true connection and passion. Ky told Cassia his true background in which he saw his parents being killed in front of him. To share something about such a sensitive situation to another person shows that you trust that person immensely. Ky also gave Cassia and artifact, the compass, which are rare and told her he loved her. Cassia was not obsessed, she was merely interested and cared for Ky and his depressing past. I also wasn't bored by this book. I couldn't put it down some nights because I'm a sucker for a love story, I guess not everyone feels the same way.