Jo's Reviews > Sunshine

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Aug 31, 14

bookshelves: own, vampires, favorites
Read on September 08, 2013 — I own a copy

What is the definition of insanity for me it is "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley because I have read this book 5 times and I keep expecting things to change.

I love this book so much and every time I read it; I get to the end and remember that there are so many questions left unanswered and (view spoiler) yet again I go to do research to find Ms. McKinley still has a special notice on her website (due to the extreme amount of requests) that there will be no sequel.

Damn you Ms. McKinley
description

IloveyousoMuch

There are so many things about this book that work, it is NOT your sparkly vampire book. Vampires are horrible monsters in this book and humans are about to lose the war against them. Con is described as having skin the color of dried mushrooms left in the back of fridge in the beginning. How is that sexy, and Sunshine is involved in a relatively healthy relationship with someone else through most of the book. It is a romance without romance I don't know how that makes sense but it does because that mushroomy vamp has my number. It is about two people who don't belong with one another, her name is enough to hurt a vampire. Yet they walked out of Hell and certain death together only to realize you can not just forget that.

The other best part of this book is that Sunshine is a baker and Ms. McKinley describes so many aspects of the decadent desserts she creates I think I gain 5 pounds every time I read it. For the love of Pastry alone you should read the book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nico (new)

Nico Jaye I have this in DTB and have been meaning to read it. Have heard so many gooooood things!

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Nico wrote: "I have this in DTB and have been meaning to read it. Have heard so many gooooood things!"

It was written in 2004 before the influx of vampire trash flooded the market so I think it has gotten lost in the shuffle. There are so many plot threads I normally hate in a book that just work in this one. It is very dark.. and the Ending it very much WTF but yet I love the book, and everyone I recommend the book too has same reaction. Let me know if you ever get to it..

message 3: by SheReadsALot (new)

SheReadsALot 1. Awesome review.

2. That picture is adorable and hilarious.

3. So happy it's not a sparkly vampire book. Blech.

message 4: by Nico (new)

Nico Jaye Yeah, I've had it since 2006 when my friend rec'd it, but then I had a dire DIRE period of not reading due to IRL stuff. It just fell to the wayside, unfortunately. :( Will have to rediscover it soon!

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo You are a really, really talented writer so I get a little nervous talking book ratings to you. I feel like I am discussing the merits of McDonalds to Emirle. So thank you for "liking" the review it really means something to me when author likes my reviews..Yeah the picture makes it though...;)

message 6: by Nico (new)

Nico Jaye OMG, I'm seriously blushing. >__< Thank you! Readers know when things are good, though, so I trust your judgment! :)

The pic is also adorable. ;)

Loederkoningin Great review! Non-sparkly vamps are always a big plus! I should really get to this one. It's been on my pile forever.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen I need to pull this one off of the bookshelf it's been sitting there for literally...gulp...years. I was never a big vampire fan to begin with and then the sparkly ones finished me. Now I see the word Vampire on a book and it goes back on the shelf and stays in the store. Probably missing out on some good books because of this.