Kristi's Reviews > Tyger Tyger

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Oct 22, 10

liked it
Read in October, 2010

I loved the idea of this novel. I've been doing a lot of reading myself pertaining to Celtic Mythology and the actual Fionn Mac Cumhaill himself, so I was intrigued right away. Plus, I loved the whole spin about the goblins. You don't see a lot of 'goblin' type literature in YA... we have a lot of fae, but not many goblins!

Unfortunately, the characters were lacking. Teagan's best friend Abby was the only character I felt like had a little bit of a personality... or at the least was memorable. Teagan, while she had a promising start, sort of fell flat. She had a plan, she was dedicated, she knew what she wanted.... and then she was nothing. She had no opinions, no feelings..... she became a shell of her former self. Aiden, Teagan's six year old brother, was annoying at times, or perhaps it was his presence that was annoying at times. I just felt like he was there ALL THE TIME! I get that Aiden has this "special" ability but geez.... is this story about Teagan or about Aiden? I think the character I was most disappointed in was Finn. He came into the story full of mystery and intrigue, but then nothing. It was a huge letdown, because I think he has a lot to tell.

And the supposed romance between Finn and Teagan.... not really seeing it. At. All. Romance fail.

One of the things that bothered me the most was Abby's dismissal of Teagan's confession about the goblins existence. The summary even touched on how Abby has this dream to warn Teagan about the goblin's coming for her and then once Teagan tell's Abby's she was right... she doesn't believe her? WHAT? (Not that I thought Abby should believe her.. or that I was okay with Teagan's quick acceptance, but why touch on Abby having the dream in the first place?)

I also thought that the death of Teagan's mom was glazed over a bit too much. It's almost like it didn't even happen.

But despite my apparent difficulties with some of the novel, I did actually enjoy reading it. The last half of the novel was so action packed the pages were flying by like crazy. I also loved Hamilton's depiction of world of the Mag Mell!

Overall Tyger Tyger is an intuiting take on Celtic mythology, I'm looking forward to reading the next book!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tyger Tyger.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review, Kristi!

Amber (Books of Amber) I agree completely. The characters fell very flat for me, and I didn't even particularly like Abby. I was especially disappointed with Finn! I thought he would have more of a role to play, other than Teagan's protector and forbidden love interest(?).

Also, Teagan's mother dying is what initially made me stop and think about this novel. I didn't find how glossed over it was realistic in the slightest.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to read the second book but I'll be awaiting your review to see what you think!